Career Opportunities at Nauticus
The Nauticus Campus includes the Nauticus Discovery Center, Battleship Wisconsin, Sail Nauticus, and Half Moone Cruise and Terminal Center. The City of Norfolk and Nauticus Foundation work in unison to manage and maintain the Nauticus Campus.
Below are available positions offered by the Nauticus Foundation and the City of Norfolk. Check back again for updated postings.
Current Nauticus Foundation Opportunities
Gift Shop Associate
Established in 1994, Nauticus is a maritime discovery center that hosts 350,000 visitors annually and is home to the Nauticus Museum, Sail Nauticus sailing center, Schooner Virginia, the Battleship Wisconsin and the Half Moone Cruise Terminal. Nauticus’ mission is to benefit the community through education, impactful experiences and by sharing access to maritime resources.
Responsible for a variety of tasks related to selling, service, stock maintenance, receiving and display of items for sale in the Nauticus Gift Shop. Support our Nauticus mission by enhancing the visitor experience through expert customer service. Drive sales revenue to support museum programs. This is a part-time position. Employee discount and designated parking garage validation included with employment.
Reports to the Assistant Store Manager.
- Greets and engages guests in dialogue to provide information about our products and services
- Responsible for performing a variety of tasks in a specialty gift shop related to selling, customer service, stock maintenance, and merchandising
- Process sales transactions; perform store opening and closing functions
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
- Knowledge of customer service standards and procedures
- Working knowledge of cash management
- Working knowledge of computer functions and cash register/credit card terminal
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Works as part of a diverse sales team and with diverse audiences and age groups.
- Works well in a fast-paced environment under time constraints
- Strong communication skills to receive customer concerns and answer in a calm and effective manner
- Organizational skills; inventory management; and some merchandising knowledge
- Moderate physical activity. Requires handling up to 50 lbs. Able to stand and/or walk for more than four hours per day.
- May require work in tight spaces and use of ladders to obtain merchandise or access to work locations
- Part-time work schedule varying between the operating hours of Tuesday thru Saturday 9am-5:30pm and Sunday 11am-5:30pm. Some nights and holidays may be required for special events.
Prior experience in retail customer service.
FLSA status: This is a non-exempt position.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of all activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. From time to time, the supervisor will ask job holder to perform additional duties related to the completion of the work.
TO APPLY Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Please include Banana Pier Gift Shop and Gift Shop Associate in the subject line. No phone calls, please – only applicants being considered for interviews will be contacted.
Digital Media Specialist
Established in 1994, Nauticus is a maritime discovery center that hosts 350,000 visitors annually and is home to the Nauticus Museum, Sail Nauticus sailing center, Schooner Virginia, the Battleship Wisconsin, and the Half Moone Cruise Terminal Center. Nauticus’ mission is to benefit the community through education, impactful experiences and by sharing access to maritime resources.
This position is funded by the Nauticus Foundation, the 501©3 nonprofit, raising funds to support the mission and activities of Nauticus.
The Digital Media Specialist is responsible for production and management of all content for the museum’s website, e-communications, social media, and related digital communications. The Digital Media Specialist is also responsible for designing and implementing strategies for Nauticus’ digital media tools to reflect the museum’s voice, mission, and goals. This position is also responsible for tracking and reporting engagement rates on all digital channels.
This position reports to the Marketing & Communications Coordinator and is a member of the Marketing team.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manages and creates all content for Nauticus.org including text, images, and video. Represents the Nauticus’ brand voice and enforces consistent messaging by writing and editing content for Nauticus’ online presence.
- Manages all e-communications through MailChimp, including monthly e-newsletters, special event eblasts, member and donor event evites, etc.
- Develops and manages a monthly blog.
- Manages all social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, TikToK, etc.
- Plans and creates social media campaigns in conjunction with overall museum exhibits, programs, and marketing campaigns.
- Advises on how to build effective and efficient end-to-end media purchasing and optimization processes.
- Plans, runs, and manages campaigns across digital channels, including but not limited to budget planning, campaign management, performance tracking, experiments, and optimization.
- Maintains an awareness of the social media activity of other community organizations and cultural institutions and interacts with them when appropriate and beneficial.
- Creates and maintains an editorial calendar, as well as website and social media policies and documents.
- Conducts live postings at events on social media.
- Works with other Nauticus staff and departments to promote exhibits, membership, programs and services.
- Works collaboratively with the Marketing team to write and produce publications including brochures and annual reports.
- Tracks and reports out engagement rates on all digital channels; generate monthly reports.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- BA or BS degree
- Minimum 1-2 years progressively responsible marketing or advertising experience
- Experience working with online media and managing social media accounts for a public-facing institution or organization
- Demonstrated experience working with CSS, HTML, analytic programs (Google Analytics, Facebook Insights), as well as Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and Blackbaud products.
- Experience buying and placing digital ads.
- Basic graphic design skills and proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite, knowledge of how to adapt visual materials for digital content.
- Team oriented and goal focused. Strong organizational skills. Ability to manage multiple priorities and responsibilities.
- Highly motivated, detail-oriented for thriving in a fast-paced, collaborative team environment.
- A flexible schedule is required as the position must be able to work some early mornings, weekend days, holidays and evenings as needed for various Nauticus media activities.
This is an office-based position with occasional physical requirements for events, programs, etc. (Must have ability to lift 25lbs). Occasional nights, weekends and holiday work will be required.
Salary range is based on experience and skills. Benefits include vision, dental, IRA, paid time off, holiday. This position is currently open and will close on January 31, 2021.
TO APPLY Please send resume, design examples and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Please include Nauticus Digital Media Specialist in the subject line. No phone calls, please – only applicants being considered for interviews will be contacted.
Current City of Norfolk Opportunities at Nauticus
The City of Norfolk is a Member of the GovernmentJobs.com Network.