Women in STEM Are Making Waves at Nauticus
Free virtual event on March 25 with special guest Tracy Edwards, MBE.
Norfolk, Va. (March 16, 2022) — Stop over at Nauticus for their Women in STEM Day during Women’s History Month on March 26, 2022. Enjoy a fun-filled day of science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) activities as you meet local women who are leading the charge and making an impact in their fields. Race remote controlled boats in our front pond and learn about the careers of women who built Navy warships. Guests will enjoy reduced, $7.57 general admission.
Build Your Future With Our Community Partners:
- KidWind Project: Take the KidWind Challenge as you test wind energy turbines in a wind tunnel.
- Girls Who Code: Practice simple coding and computer science by crafting binary jewelry.
- ODU Digital Shipbuilding Lab: Build your own ship using virtual reality while learning how ships are being built today using technology.
- Minorities in Shark Sciences: Play shark trivia and meet their shark ambassadors while learning all about these jaw-some fish.
- Norfolk Naval Shipyard: Experiment with snap circuits and watch live shipyard tooling demonstrations.
- Operation Smile: Discover how their Women in Medicine initiative is providing access to clean water across the globe.
In addition to on-site programming, Nauticus’ is excited to partner with Tracy Edwards, MBE for a virtual event on March 25. Edwards, MBE skippered the first all-female crew to sail around the world when she and her team raced Maiden in the 1989/90 Whitbread Round the World Race. This will be an informal discussion with Tracy about overcoming challenges as a women sailor and how The Maiden Factor is empowering educational access for girls.
Virtual Program Registration Details
Please register in advance to attend this virtual program on Friday, March 25 at 2:00 pm. Session is 30-45 min with Q&A portion. A Zoom link will be provided to your email prior to the event. This program will be streamed to the Nauticus Facebook page. Sign up at: www.nauticus.org/making-history-inspiring-women-sailors/
Plan Your Visit
Nauticus is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesdays – Saturdays and 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Sundays. Paid admission includes access to the Nauticus museum, special programming, and the Battleship Wisconsin. As always, Nauticus members are free. Tickets and additional details are available online here.
Women in STEM and additional programs are supported by the Nauticus Foundation. The Nauticus Foundation is the nonprofit, 501©3 that supports the mission and activities of Nauticus. Nauticus’ mission is to benefit the community through education, impactful experiences, and sharing access to maritime resources. For more information, visit www.nauticus.org.