Date: September 24, 2022
Time: 12 PM – 7 PM
Where: Nauticus Pier, One Waterside Drive, Norfolk, VA 23510
Time: 12 PM – 2 PM
On the Water: Teams will compete along the Elizabeth River in heats aboard our fleet of Harbor 20 sailboats. Each team must have one member acting as skipper who has passed a Sail Nauticus skipper’s test. The Cofer Cup is followed by a Pier Party and awards ceremony.
Off the Water: Teams registered for the Cofer Cup are encouraged to compete to raise the most funds off the water. The top three teams with the most funds raised between June 30 and September 23, 2022, will have the first pick of their preferred Harbor 20 sailboat to race. The team with most funds raised will also be awarded the title of Top Fundraiser.
Cofer Cup Teams
$375 per team
Fee includes registration for up to 4 people, 2-week trial membership to Sail Nauticus, vessel insurance, Skills Clinic on Aug. 27, limited edition SailFest pint glass, and 4 tickets to the Pier Party/Awards Ceremony following the race.
The Cofer Cup will be governed by the rules as defined by the 2021-2024 Racing Rules of Sailing as modified by these Sailing Instructions. The following points are emphasized:
- Sail Nauticus’ Harbor 20 sailboats are the only vessels permitted to be used in the race.
- The races are FUN!
- On opposite tacks, STARBOARD tack boat has Right of Way.
- On the same tack, when overlapped, LEEWARD boat has Right of Way.
- Don’t crowd marks during rounding’s.
- Don’t force another boat into an obstruction.
- Do not interfere with the safe navigation of commercial traffic on the river. Yield to tugs, tows, merchant ships, sightseeing vessels, etc.
- Have fun!
- If required for safety, a boat’s motor may be used, and the boat may maneuver perpendicular to the racecourse or backwards on the course. Motors shall not be used to advance the boat’s position on the racecourse. **Please notify Race Committee boat if this is necessary.**
- Violation of these rules make the boat subject to disqualification.
- Life jackets must be worn at all times while in Harbor 20s.
Eligibility and Entry
- Each vessel must have one person acting as skipper who has passed a Sail Nauticus Skipper’s Test. Interested participants should plan to attend the Cofer Cup Skills Clinic on Saturday, August 27 from 10 AM-1 PM. Skipper’s tests should be scheduled by August 27, 2022, and must be completed by September 20, 2022.
- Form a Team: Each vessel must have at least 2 and not more than 4 people during the Cofer Cup event. We will request names of participants by September 20, 2022, and also require that all individuals sign the Sail Nauticus Waiver Form prior to the event.
- Team Name: Teams will submit a Team Name for their vessel. All team names must be approved by the Sail Nauticus Manager by September 20, 2022.
- Teams are encouraged to compete off the water to raise the most funds. The top 3 teams with the most funds raised between June 30 and Sept. 23 will have the first pick of their preferred Harbor20. Teams who do not fundraise will be randomly assigned to the remaining vessels. Fundraising instructions will be listed on the website and sent to all teams upon registration.
- By attending the Cofer Cup, you authorize the use and reproduction by Nauticus of any and all photography and/or videography that has been taken of you in association with this event. All digital images and/or video files are wholly owned by the Nauticus Foundation.
- The scheduled inclement weather date is Sunday, September 25, 2022.
- Sail Nauticus reserves the right to cancel or change the date or location at its sole discretion.
- DISCLAIMER OF LIABILITY: Participants compete in the regatta completely at their own risk. The host and organizing authority will not have responsibility or liability for damage to property or for personal injury sustained in conjunction with, prior to, during, or after, the regatta.
- Skippers are responsible for damage incurred to Sail Nauticus vessels under their command up to $1,000.
Capt. J. William (Bill) Cofer is the former chairman of the Nauticus Board of Directors and devoted supporter of Nauticus’ Sailing program. Capt. Cofer is a well respected member of the maritime community and the former president of the Virginia Pilot Association.
We are honored to name the Cofer Cup regatta after an incredible leader in our community.
Corporate Challenge at Pier Party
Time: 3:30 PM – 4:30 PM
Event sponsors are invited to register their staff/clients for the Corporate Challenge, a fun and unique set of races led by skilled instructors aboard our fleet of Harbor 20 sailboats. No sailing experience required. The challenge will be held just off the Nauticus cruise pier and event attendees will be able to cheer on their favorite team!
The Corporate Challenge will consist of three FUN heats:
- Poker Run
- Tennis Ball Jousting
- Traditional Race
The winning team will have their company name engraved on the official Cofer Cup to be displayed inside Nauticus’ museum.
Other sponsorship benefits include VIP Pier Party tickets with reserved seating in sponsor tent, additional drink tickets, marketing exposure and more. All sponsorships directly support the mission of Sail Nauticus and are tax-deductible through the Nauticus Foundation, a 501(c)3 nonprofit. Contact Development Director, Rehn West at (757) 664-1011 for more information.
The full schedule of events will be announced later this summer.
Registration Deadline: September 1, 2022, at 11:59 PM
Optional Cofer Cup Skills Clinic: August 27, 2022, from 10 AM – 1 PM
Skipper’s Meeting will take place on Friday, September 23, 2022, at the Sail Nauticus Pavilion. Skipper’s may ask a crew member to attend in lieu of themselves. We’ll hand out race packet and be on hand to answer any questions you have about the event.
All proceeds from SailFest directly support Sail Nauticus’ mission to provide affordable access to sailing, STEM and leadership programs for the youth of our community.
Since its inception in 2014, Sail Nauticus has provided a life-changing experience for youth in our community through a three-year program for middle school students. Through a partnership with Norfolk Public Schools, students are given the opportunity to participate in weekly programming that promotes science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) comprehension career exploration opportunities, and builds leadership and confidence all while learning how to sail.
Video below demonstrates students showing off their sailing skills at the 2021 graduation ceremony:
Each vessel must have one person acting as skipper who has passed a Sail Nauticus Skipper’s Test. Interested participants should plan to attend the Cofer Cup Skills Clinic on Saturday, August 27 from 10 AM-1 PM. Skipper’s tests should be scheduled by August 27, 2022, and must be completed by September 20, 2022.
In the event of inclement weather, the Cofer Cup will be rescheduled for September 25, 2022. The Pier Party and Corporate Challenge will occur rain or shine.
Parking is available across the street in the Plume Street Garage or the Town Point Garage. Parking onsite is not permitted. On event day, please head to the Nauticus cruise pier (behind Nauticus) for event check-in.
Sail Nauticus’ Harbor 20 sailboats are the only vessels permitted to be used in the race.
The Harbor 20’s torpedo like bulb keel keeps the weight low in the water. The keel design gives the boat plenty of stability without slowing the boat down in light air with excessive weight. Its excellence performance makes it a natural club racer.
Teams are encouraged to compete off the water to raise the most funds. The top 3 teams with the most funds raised between June 30 and Sept. 23 will have the first pick of their preferred Harbor20. Teams who do not fundraise will be randomly assigned to the remaining vessels. Fundraising instructions will be
listed on the website and sent to all teams upon registration.
Fundraising teams are open to all individuals and you are not required to participate in the Cofer Cup, Corporate Challenge or the Pier Party. See details.
For team regatta or general inquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or (757) 823-4242.
For fundraising/sponsorship inquiries and Pier Party details, please contact Nauticus Development Director, Rehn West at (757) 664-1011.
Thank You to Our Sponsors
Chip & Sip Sponsor
Nauticus’ mission is to benefit the community through education, impactful experiences and by sharing access to maritime resources. Sponsorships are tax-deductible and directly support our mission through the Nauticus Foundation, the 501(c)3 nonprofit of Nauticus.