Friday, September 16, 2022 | 10:00 AM
Homeschool students are invited for a day of fun and learning on September 16 at Nauticus. “Homeschool Day” includes discounted admission prices, STEM programming by Nauticus educators and drone demonstrations by local community partners. Admission includes access to the traveling exhibit, “Drones: Is The Sky The Limit” and self-guided tours of the Battleship Wisconsin.
Teachers licensed in Virginia and North Carolina will receive free admission!
Schedule of Events:
- 10 a.m. -11 a.m.: AUV vs. ROV at Living Sea Landing’s ROV tank
- 11 a.m. – 12 p.m.: Drone Launch in the Vista
- 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.: Drone Zone in the Navy League Learning Center
- 1 p.m. – 2 p.m.: AUV vs. ROV at Living Sea Landing’s ROV tank
- 2 p.m. – 3 p.m.: Drone Zone in the Navy League Learning Center
- 3 p.m. – 4 p.m.: Drone Launch in the Vista
- 4 p.m. – 5 p.m.: AUV vs. ROV at Living Sea Landing’s ROV tank
Participate in activities around campus, like:
- Dronology: Come explore the language of drones! There are many words and phrases that drone pilots and enthusiasts use every day that we may not recognize or understand.
- Drone Zone: Pilot a drone! Fly a small drone through an obstacle course with the challenges of flying through a hoop as well as successfully landing and taking off from the correct landing pads. It even has a camera!
- Drone Launch: Discover how drones were launched and retrieved from the Wisconsin‘s fantail. Then after, build your own drone and test your flying skills.
- Pioneer RPV: Check out the drone technology that our own Battleship supported to help out during wartime. Guests will get to see and learn about the evolution of on-board drone technology.
- AUV vs. ROV: Almost all of us have heard of drones and remotely operated vehicles, but how much do we really know about them? In this activity guests have the opportunity to compare aquatic remotely operated vehicles and underwater drones to learn a little more about their purposes, history, and design.
- Drone Flight Dynamics: Build your own unmanned flying apparatus and perform a flight test.
- Norfolk Public Library: Receive free library giveaways, informational resources, library card applications, and fun STEM activities/games about magnetics and engineering at Norfolk Public Library’s table.