Nauticus is full of expert educators who share your commitment to inspiring young minds and connect with classroom curriculum through engaging hands-on STEM programs as well as providing insight into STEM and maritime careers. Our programs are a great way to enhance your field trip to Nauticus.
2021 – 2022
Onsite, Outreach, and Virtual Education Programs
(Note – All Programs 45 mins in length except for Pre- K (30 mins))
5 Senses/Enviro Ed/Microscopes
Pre-K – 2
- Play in the Bay Take a closer look at what lives in the Chesapeake Bay! Students will discover how marine animals use their senses and adaptations to survive. This experience will include a virtual animal encounter with some local species that are native to the bay and a Flip and Sense activity book that will help build Science, Math & Engineering skills. VA. Learning Blocks – Literacy 1. d-h 2. a-d 4.d, f Math 1.a, b 2.a, b 3.a, b, c 4.a, c 5.a, b Science 1.a-e, 2.a, 3.a, 5.a-c; VA. SOLs – k.1, k.3, k.5-7, 1.1, 1.4, 1.5, 2.1, 2.4, 2.5, 2.7, 2.8
Grades 3 – 12
- Living River/Hidden World The Elizabeth River is full of marine life we can easily see, but there’s also a whole world too small to view with the naked eye. How do these flora & fauna fit into our local marine environment? What are some harmful pollutants that negatively affect them? Students will use a variety of technology to get a closer look at these hidden creatures. VA. SOLs – 3.1, 3.4, 3.5, 3.7, 3.8, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.7, 4.8, 5.1, 5.
Pre-K – 2
- Sink or Swim How is it possible that a Navy ship floats, but a tiny penny sinks immediately? How do sharks and other animals travel through the water? Students will learn all about buoyancy through this interactive experiment that will allow our learners to test and explore for themselves! VA. Learning Blocks – Literacy 1. d-h 2. a-d 4.d, f Math 1.a, b 2.a, b 3.a, b, c 4.a, c 5.a, b Science 1.a-e, 2.a, 3.d, 5-a-c; VA. SOLs – K.1- 4. 1.1-3, 1.5, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3,2.5
Grades 3 – 5
- What Floats your Boat? Battleships float while tiny pennies and pebbles sink to the bottom of the ocean. Students will put their design and engineering skills to work, while learning about buoyancy and other properties of water during this interactive experiment! VA. SOLs –3.1, 3.2, 5.1, 5.3, 5.
Grades 6 – 12
- Design. Build. Sail. BB64 and the other Iowa class battleships are impressive engineering feats. We will take time to dissect and discuss these features and the maritime engineering industry. Students will engage in our STEM to Stern activities that demonstrate basic principles of water and boat construction. The STEM challenge cycle will flex their critical & creative thinking, problem-solving, and collaboration skills. VA. SOLs – 6.1,6.6, PS.1, PS.3, PH.1, PH.2, PH.3, PH.7
Pre-K – 12
- Risky Wisky Weather How cool would it be to forecast the weather on a Battleship? Students will explore weather, the instruments used to detect it, and how to collect the data themselves. They will test these skills by creating their own weather instruments & using their knowledge to investigate a historical weather event on BB-64! VA. SOLs – K.1, K.9,1.1.,1.7,2.1,2.6,2.7, 3.1, 3.7, 4,1.,4.4.,6.1, 6.7, LS.1, LS.5, ES.1, ES.12
Pre-K – 5
- The Melt Down What is climate change? How does it affect day-to-day life? How can even the littlest kid help stop climate change? Students will answer these questions by observing experiments & collecting data on thermal expansion, glacial melting, ocean acidification, and more. They will categorize the causes and effects of sea level rise and develop personal action plans to help their communities. VA SOLs – K.1, K.10 1.1, 1.7, 1.8, 2.1, 2.5, 2.7, 3.1, 3.4, 3.5, 3.8, 4.1, 4.3, 4.4, 4.5, 4.6, 4.8, 5.1, 5.9
Grades 6 – 12
- Climate Science Lab What is climate change? How does it affect day-to-day life? How can even the littlest kid help stop climate change? Students will answer these questions by observing experiments & collecting data on thermal expansion, glacial melting, ocean acidification, and more. They will categorize the causes and effects of sea level rise and develop personal action plans to help their communities. VA. learning Blocks – VA SOLs – K.1, K.10 1.1, 1.7, 1.8, 2.1, 2.5, 2.7, 3.1, 3.4, 3.5, 3.8, 4.1, 4.3, 4.4, 4.5, 4.6, 4.8, 5.1, 5.9
Grades 3 – 8
- Messy Math This interactive program will put students’ math skills to the test, while they experience life as a WW2 mess-specialist on the Battleship Wisconsin! Students will analyze & interpret historical documents and discover how sailors lived and functioned abord BB64. They will even walk away with their own WW2 recipe! VA. SOLs – Math 3.1-3.5, 3.7,3.10,4.1- 4.6,4.8,4.9,5.1-5.6, 5.9, 5.17, 5.19, 6.1, 6.2, 6.4, 6.5, 6.8, 6.12, 6.14, 7.1 – 7.4, 7.12, 7.13, 8.1, 8.2, 8.8, 8.11, 8.14-8.16 History – 3.1, 3.8, VS.1, VS.9, USI.1, USII.1 USII.5-9
Grades 3 – 12
- Pollution Solution We teach children not to litter, but plastic still gets into the ocean. How can we help the animals in the Chesapeake Bay? How can we make a change? Students will discover the impacts humans have on the environment and explore creative solutions for this issue, all while testing their engineering skills! VA. SOLs – 3.1, 3.5, 3.8, 4.1, 4.3, 4.7, 4.8, 5.1, 5.9, 6.1, 6.6, 6.8, 6.9, LS.1, LS.8, LS.9, BIO.1, BIO.8, ES.1, ES.6, ES.8, ES.10
Grades K – 8
- Simply STEM Some machines that seem complicated can actually be very simple to make from everyday objects! Students will join us in recreating some of the machines of BB-64, examining their functions, and determining how they can be used to make life easier. VA. SOLs – K.1, K.2, K.4, 1.1 – 1.3, 2.1 – 2.3, 3.1 – 3.3, 5.1 -5.4, 7.7 6.1, 6.6, PS.1, PS. 5, PS.8, PS.9
2021 – 2022
Workshop Education Programs
(Note – Workshops are onsite only and programs run for 90 mins)
Grades K – 12
- Weather Workshop How is weather important to the marine industry? Students will learn about the weather by playing a trivia game and observing, feeling, and recording the weather by creating their own weather instruments and testing them aboard BB64. We will end our visit by checking out data sets on NOAA’s Science on a Sphere! V.A. SOLs – K.1, K.9,.K.10, K.11, 1.1, 1.6, 1.7, 2.1, 2.6, 2.7, 3.1, 3.7, 4.1, 4.5, 4.4, 4.6, 6.1, 6.3, 6.6, 6.7, ES.1, ES.3, ES.10, ES.11, ES.12
Grades K – 12
- STEM to Stern Workshop STEM is the wave of the future! These exciting maritime-themed STEM challenges will aid in preparing your students to think critically and creatively, problem-solve, and collaborate with peers. They will engage in our STEM challenge cycle and learn how to overcome obstacles and face challenges head-on. VA. SOLs – Can over most K-6th grade, Physical Science, & Physics SOLs. Speak to Education Staff to specify which SOLs you need covered.
Grades 2 – 12
- Watershed Workshop The watersheds are the lungs of the ocean. We often know the health of the Chesapeake Bay if we know the health of our watershed. Students will dissect our aquatic habitat to discover how we are all connected to it. Through water quality testing, playing a fun game, and building a watershed model students will explain the role that watersheds play in our lives. VA. SOLs –K.1, k.10,k.11, 1.1, 1.4, 1.5, 2.1, 2.4, 2.5, 2.8, 3.1, 3.4, 3.5, 3.8, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.8, 5.1, 5.9, 6.1, 6.6, 6.8, 6.9, LS.1, LS.5, LS. 9, LS.11, BIO.1, BIO.8, ES.1, ES.6, ES.8, ES.10
Grades 5 – 12
- ROV Workshop Remotely Operated Vehicles are the cutting-edge technology used to explore the ocean. There is a large industry surrounding these machines. Students will learn what ROV’s are used for, investigate a shipwreck, and build & test their own! VA. SOLs – Can over most 5th grade, 6th grade, Physical Science, & Physics SOLs. Speak to Education Staff to specify which SOLs you need covered.