Career Opportunities at the Nauticus Foundation
Below are available positions at the Nauticus Foundation. Check back again for updated postings.
Office Administrator/Programs Coordinator
About Sail Nauticus
Nauticus is a maritime-themed museum located on the scenic Elizabeth River waterfront in the heart of downtown Norfolk, VA. In addition to the museum, the Nauticus campus is home to Sail Nauticus, a nonprofit community sailing center . Our mission at Sail Nauticus is to positively inspire, instruct, and impact Hampton Roads youth through sailing and maritime sciences. Our flagship initiative, the Sail Nauticus Academy, is a hands-on sailing and STEM education after-school program that focuses on teaching lifelong leadership, communication, and teamwork skills to Norfolk youth. Sail Nauticus also runs a fee-based adult membership program.
About the position
The role of Office Administrator/Programs Coordinator is a public facing, customer service-centric position. The successful candidate will provide support to multiple programs and ensure the smooth functioning of the department. He/she must be able to function effectively in a variety of roles within a dynamic environment. Interest in Marketing/Communication a plus. This is a full-time position.
- Provide customer service via phone, email, and in-person inquiries regarding all sailing programs and activities.
- Maintain office accounting procedures, to include: reconciling credit card receipts, processing check receipts, writing and submitting invoices, etc.
- Act as liaison between Sailing department and other departments on the Nauticus campus.
- Ensure smooth functioning of office systems (e.g. staff calendar, office supplies, incoming correspondence).
- Update Sail Nauticus website, to include building pages, creating content and maintenance.
- Take payments for fee-for-service programs (cash, check, PayPal), and provide necessary reconciliation to Foundation accounting.
- Order all print needs (marketing, administrative, etc.) through city print shop.
- Anticipate department needs and proactively address them.
- Constantly evaluate office processes and recommend improvements.
Program Support (40%)
- Assist Adult Programs Manager maintaining membership management system (MembershipWorks)
- Create correspondence and gather feedback, to include reviewing weekly newsletters and membership surveys.
- Recommend new and exciting ways to create and engaged membership program for diverse group of people.
- Assist in the planning, preparation, and implementation of all membership programs, to include our Annual Oyster Roast, Annual Sock Burning, family days, etc.
- Maintain Sail Nauticus Academy application process
- Assist Youth Programs Manager with reports
- Create engaging collateral (print/website) to illustrate the effectiveness of the Academy program
- Provide administrative support to Summer Camp programs
- Provide support as needed and determined by Sail Nauticus Director
- Assist Nauticus Foundation Development Department (e.g. annual fundraiser and donor events)
- Research funding opportunities, and write for grant applications
About the ideal candidate
The successful candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills, with the ability to manage multiple and shifting priorities, projects, and deadlines
- Ability to function independently in a small, results-oriented work environment
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Superb writing skills, with a mastery of grammar and the ability to tell engaging and compelling stories
- WordPress, WordPress plugins, or other content management platforms
- Google Forms, Survey Monkey, or other survey design systems
- Graphic design software experience (Adobe suite, Canva), preferred
- Non-profit experience a plus
- Sailing experience preferred, willingness to learn required
- Salary range $35,000-$45,000.
- Health benefits
- Paid time off
Please send cover letter and resume directly to K.C. Fullmer, Sailing Nauticus Director at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Nauticus Foundation is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national
origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.