Career Opportunities at the Nauticus Foundation
Below are available positions at the Nauticus Foundation. Check back again for updated postings.
Chief Financial Officer/Controller
About the Nauticus Foundation
Nauticus is a maritime-themed museum located on the scenic Elizabeth River waterfront in the heart of downtown Norfolk, VA. In addition to the museum, the Nauticus campus includes the historic Battleship Wisconsin, Sail Nauticus, the Decker Half Moone cruise terminal, and the schooner Virginia. We offer a business-casual environment with competitive wages and benefits. The City of Norfolk is an up-and-coming coastal town with a multitude of entertainment opportunities such as rooftop dining, a vibrant arts scene, and seasonal festivals.
About the Position – Chief Financial Officer/Controller
The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) leads the financial and administrative functions for the Nauticus Foundation. She/he is a part of the leadership team and provides support, advice and consultation to drive performance. She/he develops business plans and strategies to attain goals and implements the strategies to support the growth of the Foundation. She/he will assess overall organizational performance against objectives.
As a member of the senior management team, the CFO is involved in the strategic planning, evaluation, leadership and development initiatives to support the Foundation’s mission and goals.
The position is responsible for hands-on, day-to-day financial management including oversight of the business office operations, accounts payable/receivables, payroll, general accounting, monthly and yearly close, budget preparation, legal, insurance.
The CFO oversees the Events Rental department and the Gift Shop. This position reports to the CEO.
Key responsibilities include:
- Financial Management
- Prepare financial statements
- Create forecasts and develop processes to achieve goals
- Oversee budgeting and cash flow
- Improve profitability
- Coordinate all audit activities
- Preserve the Foundation assets and monitor investments
- Maintain operating systems
- Work with the CEO on the financial, budgeting and administrative processes (HR, payroll, benefits, donor) with the goal of continuous improvement.
- Drive best financial practices throughout the organization.
- Build and maintain relationships with external partners (e.g. banks, insurance providers, legal support)
- Keep up with new trends in the financial and accounting industry which may impact the Foundation.
- Responsible for the daily supervision and development of direct reports including one Staff Accountant, Event Management staff and Gift Shop Manager.
About the ideal candidate
This position represents a unique opportunity to make a difference in a one-of-a-kind organization. It’s your chance to impact the future of Nauticus.
The successful candidate will have:
- Progressive experience in administrative and financial management with at least five years at the management level.
- Forward-looking approach towards growing business; keen understanding of and proficiency in business forecasting
- Experience leading professionals in finance, accounting and administrative functions.
- Experience leading change in a mid-size organization
- Excellent analytical skills and presentation skills.
- Excellent people skills working with staff, partnering with leadership team and Foundation Board Members.
- Experience working in a small organization with limited support staff
- Self-Starter with ability to handle multiple priorities concurrently.
- Technologically savvy with advanced Excel and QuickBooks knowledge.
- CPA preferred
- Experience in non-profit environment a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting or related subject.
Nauticus offers a competitive compensation and benefits package.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should submit their résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Nauticus Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Applicants receive consideration for a position without regard to race, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or sexual orientation.